Route way point calculation

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Imskier2
Has liked: 4 times
United States of America

Route way point calculation

Post by Imskier2 »

Zumo 590:
In Basecamp I create a route start, end and several waypoints. If I give the route a start time and date it will calculate my arrival times at waypoints and at the end of my route.

Now the question, In basecamp I can edit each waypoint with arrival time, departure time and a delay. Meaning if I plan to stay at said waypoint for 30 minutes it will recalculate the route overall to reflect a 30 minute longer arrival time.

So lets say I have 3 waypoints in my route plus a start & end, and I set each of the 3 waypoints to a 30 minute delay the overall route should reflect an hour and a half time of final arrival at my end distination, correct?

In Basecamp it does just that, but that's useless once transfered to the 590, it shows as though I am just going from start to finish with my stops but doesn't account for the delays that I have set up.

I would think that my overall arrival time would show the aforementioned hour and one half. And if I stay only stay 15 minutes at a waypiont once back on the road the unit would recalculate the remaining route and report that I should now arrive 15 minutes earlier.

What do you think/know about this function?
Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
2022 Ultra Limited
Mean Green Machine
Radioactive Green/Vivid Black
Arizona
blacktiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: Route way point calculation

Post by blacktiger »

The Zumo is a "live" product in so much as it'll tell you your estimated arrival time if you ride the route without stopping as you say. It will of course adjust that arrival time when you stop for your 30 minute stops. It is not a route "planning" tool which is what Basecamp is. Therefore, you just need to remember and use the Basecamp figures when you set off.
To so what you're asking would be almost impossible because you have to spend so long setting up every stop that you never get to ride the journey. And, if you could do that, what would happen when you stopped for say 38 minutes instead of 30?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

I have a 595 so this may not apply but check in the Map Data Field, maybe you can change "Arrival Time (at Destination)" to something like "Arrival time at Next Waypoint". The Map Data Field is the button that shows the arrival time, does the 590 have that?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Imskier2
United States of America

Post by Imskier2 »

blacktiger wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm The Zumo is a "live" product in so much as it'll tell you your estimated arrival time if you ride the route without stopping as you say. It will of course adjust that arrival time when you stop for your 30 minute stops. It is not a route "planning" tool which is what Basecamp is. Therefore, you just need to remember and use the Basecamp figures when you set off.
To so what you're asking would be almost impossible because you have to spend so long setting up every stop that you never get to ride the journey. And, if you could do that, what would happen when you stopped for say 38 minutes instead of 30?
What you say makes no sense because the Zumo does compensate for time stopped in the over all arrival time. If I have a route planned from point A to point B it gives me an estimated arrival time of say 12:30 but when I stop or am delayed in traffic it will recalculate my remaining time to my destination and add when it thinks I will now arrive based on how long I was stopped or delayed. It should be very easy for it to add in the 1and a half hours based on what was input and transfered from Basecamp. If Basecamp is a route "planning" tool then what good is planning a route if it's not going to transfer the info to the unit that it was made to plan for?

[mention]rbentnail[/mention]
Yes the 590 does indeed act just like your 595, on map view fields I have 4 places to put the trip info that I want to display along the right side of the unit. At the top field I have Arrival miles, below that I have Arrival time, under that the next field is Via miles, below that is Via Arrival time. So I expect that that when I all delay time for a Via it should be reflected in the trip arrival time, but shouldn't be any different for Via time because I haven't been there yet for it to reflect any layover time. The arrival time after at next via should now be based on current time plus calculated time to travel the miles to next via. Over all Arrival time should have not changed unless I stayed longer or shorter amount of time than was originally planned and transfered to the Zumo from Basecamp. Simple mathematics that the Zumo does everytime I am riding a route. I find the Zumo pretty accurate which is based on an algorithm of distance, and setting I have placed in the Zumo such as slowest, fastest, curvy . Those are based on the road speeds that have been set for highways, city streets, side streets.
When I start a route and it says I will arrive at 12:30 based on those calculations, but if I travel at speeds consistently faster the Zumo will now say I'm going to arrive 4 minutes sooner. Same is true if I catch every stoplight it will recalc and say now that I will arrive 10 minutes later.
2022 Ultra Limited
Mean Green Machine
Arizona
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Don't know about the stop over times, but do know that my 595 has different algorithms for the speeds on roads compared to Basecamp. So another area where route planning in Basecamp isn't reflected in the 595.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

i cant see the point in the zumo trying to include a planned stop,when its eta is calculated continuously .The planned speed( from basecamp) is also nothing more than conjecture .Planning the route is one thing but reality is another,and the zumo is telling you every minut what your eta is goinf to be....eve nwhiile stopped
blacktiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by blacktiger »

Imskier2 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 am
blacktiger wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm The Zumo is a "live" product in so much as it'll tell you your estimated arrival time if you ride the route without stopping as you say. It will of course adjust that arrival time when you stop for your 30 minute stops. It is not a route "planning" tool which is what Basecamp is. Therefore, you just need to remember and use the Basecamp figures when you set off.
What you say makes no sense because the Zumo does compensate for time stopped in the over all arrival time.
'swhat I said innit?
Imskier2
United States of America

Post by Imskier2 »

advnzer wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 am i cant see the point in the zumo trying to include a planned stop,when its eta is calculated continuously .The planned speed( from basecamp) is also nothing more than conjecture .Planning the route is one thing but reality is another,and the zumo is telling you every minut what your eta is goinf to be....eve nwhiile stopped
I agree with you on one point, it is all based on estimates. That is fine but it isnt telling me and not updating the overall "estimate" of the whole trip, in other words there is no sense of having an estimate because you will get there when you get there. That is what you are saying that the Zumo is updating all the time, and you are correct so when you arrive and look at the clock current time it will be the time that had been updating all along of your arrival. So why have it at all, because when you get to your distination time will be the same time.

Lets say you plan a route as I suggested and you sre going to another city and you have 2 stops to make and each is 1/2 hour, you plug it into Basecamp and it says you will be there at 3pm. So 2 weeks later you are on your trip and you have been traveling across the US each day with a new route. So now you put in the route and it says you will be there at 2pm, so you call your appointment and say I'll be there right around 2pm, but as you are traveling the time keeps getting later and later, then you realize that the Zumo didn't account for the 1 hour that you had "programmed" in on Basecamp. What I'm saying is why have something in basecamp that doesn't mean anything on the Zumo.

I would just like it to work as it should, give you an estimate to your final destination including your "programmed" stops, to estimate after you have arrived is no good.
2022 Ultra Limited
Mean Green Machine
Arizona
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

well that scenario is a good illustration of what you want and i can see why you want it.