For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
VA3TWT
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 2 times
Canada

Routes and Waypoints

Post by VA3TWT »

Hello;

I have my routes and waypoints stored in internal memory and also on the SD card. Can I delete them from the internal memory to free up space? I wanted to delete them using Basecamp, but I don't see a delete option.

Thanks for any and all help;
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Routes and Waypoints

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp can't delete them. Not sure what exactly you're asking, but any routes and waypoints stored on a sd card will be imported to your device, so once they are there you can delete them from the card. Deleting them from the internal memory frees up hardly any space any way, and if they are left on the card they will simply be re-imported next time you switch your device on.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

VA3TWT wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 am Hello;

I have my routes and waypoints stored in internal memory and also on the SD card. Can I delete them from the internal memory to free up space? I wanted to delete them using Basecamp, but I don't see a delete option.

Thanks for any and all help;
Gord
Yes, you can remove them from internal memory and have them on the SD card only. At least this is how I have them on my 595. When I transfer my routes & waypoints I DO NOT use the transfer command. I simply drag & drop them to User Memory, which is the SD card. The 595 runs them off the card and never permanently stores them in internal memory, i.e., when the card is removed there are no routes and/or waypoints on my gps at all. Others may not see any advantage to doing this but my head can't wrap around always having to sift through 47 different routes and 126 different waypoints to find what I what. I have a "library" of small capacity SD cards for different ride areas- I simply pick a card for where I want to ride to today.

So now, how to do it, from dave726. Works bee-yoo-tee-fully!
dave726 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:57 pm 1. Connect your Zumo to your Windows 10 PC.
2. Start File Manager.
3. Navigate File Manager to the Zumo.
4. Search for *.gpx using the Quick Access in the upper right of File Manager.
5. Select each .gpx type file and Delete.
6. Navigate to the Zumo-SD card.
7. Repeat steps 4. & 5.

8. Start up the Zumo.
9a. For Z66x and earlier: Tools>(page down>My Data>(page down)>Delete Route(s)>Select All>Delete
9b. For Z565: Apps>Trip Planner>Delete Trips

PS You can ignore Current.gpx as the Zumo recreates that file as an accessible copy of Zumo private memory every time you connect the Zumo to your PC. You can import that file or look at it in BC, for example, if you want to copy the breadcrumb tracks.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

rbentnail wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:28 pm Yes, you can remove them from internal memory and have them on the SD card only. At least this is how I have them on my 595. When I transfer my routes & waypoints I DO NOT use the transfer command. I simply drag & drop them to User Memory, which is the SD card. The 595 runs them off the card and never permanently stores them in internal memory, i.e., when the card is removed there are no routes and/or waypoints on my gps at all.
Wow really? That's different to every other Garmin GPS that I've used. Learnt something today at least :)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 pm Wow really? That's different to every other Garmin GPS that I've used. Learnt something today at least :)
Yeah, really. To do so, you have to put all routes, waypoints, etc. on the User Memory and DO NOT transfer them to the device. Again, I do this in Base Camp using drag and drop. Then remove the sd card & delete all trips on the device. Now, without the sd card installed, see if there are any trips to import. Nope! You'll see none. You can even hook it back up to the PC & go through the steps above and you will find none in internal memory. Now power down, insert card (of your choice), power up & import- I simply insert an SD card that has ONLY the routes and waypoints I want today and import them. To me, this is a great advantage:

- since there is no known way to organize the internal memory lists in a way that makes sense, not even alphanumerically, I simply use the sd cards to do it for me by organizing the contents into different riding areas I've created routes for and/or frequent;
- I don't have to connect my gps to a PC to get my established routes & waypoints. Create once & put on a card. Done;
- much of my leisure riding is spur-of-the-moment, simply grab a card, insert and go;
- I also remove the sd card when updating maps- if internal memory isn't enough for all of North America I'll update just the east coast or leave Mexico off or whatever. This too works fine for me, I did it before on a nuvi;
- sharing routes & waypoints amongst surprise co-riders is a snap. Remove card from receiving device, insert my card & import wanted trip. Simple. Impossible to do this way with previous models if the route is in internal memory and not stored specifically on the card though I've not investigated the Share app on the 595. Yet.

Another tip- more "modern" gps use a micro SD card whereas older units used a "standard" sized one, as do many modern laptops (don't know about tablets, never had one). I dropped a cheapo micro card adapter in my gps case so pretty much anyone can have my info from my SD card quickly.

Everything is, for me, so much easier this way. YMMV.

edit: this part ->
sussamb wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:38 am.... and if they are left on the card they will simply be re-imported next time you switch your device on.
is not accurate. Routes do not get automatically imported every time the 595 is turned on. If you select Where To/Trip Planner/Import the routes on the card will be listed but you have to manually select any/all of them and CHOOSE to import them. It is NOT done simply on power up.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

are the sd cards prepared in any way.At one time i thought that the sd card had to have a gpx folder inside a garmin folder like on the device itself???
VA3TWT
Canada

Post by VA3TWT »

I have the routes and waypoints deleted from the Internal Memory (thanks rbentnail and dave726). My routes are showing up in Trip Planner, however my waypoints aren't showing up in my Saved Places. Did I do something wrong? I thought I followed the directions to the letter.

Any ideas? Do waypoints need to reside in the Internal Memory?

Thanks again folks;
Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
VA3TWT
Canada

Post by VA3TWT »

advnzer wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 pm are the sd cards prepared in any way.At one time i thought that the sd card had to have a gpx folder inside a garmin folder like on the device itself???
I may be wrong, but I think if you format the card in the GPS, it sets up the directory structure. I'm new at this myself so someone with more experience will hopefully chime in.

Gord
Zumo 595LM
2010 GL1800 Goldwing
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

advnzer wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 pm are the sd cards prepared in any way.At one time i thought that the sd card had to have a gpx folder inside a garmin folder like on the device itself???
I believe they should ... although if you send the data using BaseCamp to the card that will create the correct directory structure.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

sussamb wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 am
I believe they should ... although if you send the data using BaseCamp to the card that will create the correct directory structure.
thats makes sense thanks