Routes and Waypoints

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Routes and Waypoints

Post by rbentnail »

At least some earlier models (like the nuvi I have) required the user to make the file structure manually. With the 595 I've found that when simply inserting a brand new SD card the device gives a prompt about formatting it. I pick yes. After that it seems to work fine. I do no formatting, setting up files or creating folders to the card. Just plug and play!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

So I followed the thread and did not see what I am looking for..........waypoints.

Still new and getting it as I use the 595, but I was on a trip this past weekend and wanted to make a waypoint on the fly, ya know save it for later. How do I do that? I know you can make a shortcut for saved places but like I found a waterfall and wanted to keep it for later.

thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you're currently where you want to make a waypoint just tap your vehicle icon, up pops a screen with current location and various other info. You can save the location from there.
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I did find that after I made this post, if I am on the move can I do the same? I treid it while I was moving but it did not work.

PG
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Mine have always worked in the move.
probe
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by probe »

Am I correct in assuming that once you have completed your route using shaping points, the box in EDIT - OPTIONS - DEVICE TRANSFER - 'Strip shaping points from routes on transfer to device' should be Unticked to allow shaping points to be transferred to your device thereby allowing the Zumo to exactly follow your designated route?
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

probe wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 pm Am I correct in assuming that once you have completed your route using shaping points, the box in EDIT - OPTIONS - DEVICE TRANSFER - 'Strip shaping points from routes on transfer to device' should be Unticked to allow shaping points to be transferred to your device thereby allowing the Zumo to exactly follow your designated route?
Yes, you are correct.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
adl55
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

Seems to me that there is a bit of confusion here.

rbentnail's idea of swapping in SD cards for trips is a good one. But when he says "waypoints" it seems that he means the waypoints that make up the routes. They are part of the routes and come into the 595 when the routes are imported.

"Waypoints" does NOT seem to mean "Saved Locations" that are independent of routes as they once did in Garmin nomenclature. From what I can see, these do NOT get into 595's internal memory unless a user puts them there either through in-595 creation or transferring from Basecamp. (Maybe Mapsource? Anyone still using it?)
o That means SD cards for trips are great for routes but don't help much if there are desired spots to be visited at the destination(s).
Easy enough to add them to internal memory then delete them later, I guess.

Or am I missing some 595 menu option(s)?
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

adl55 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:57 pm Seems to me that there is a bit of confusion here.

rbentnail's idea of swapping in SD cards for trips is a good one. But when he says "waypoints" it seems that he means the waypoints that make up the routes. They are part of the routes and come into the 595 when the routes are imported.

"Waypoints" does NOT seem to mean "Saved Locations" that are independent of routes as they once did in Garmin nomenclature. From what I can see, these do NOT get into 595's internal memory unless a user puts them there either through in-595 creation or transferring from Basecamp. (Maybe Mapsource? Anyone still using it?)
o That means SD cards for trips are great for routes but don't help much if there are desired spots to be visited at the destination(s).
Easy enough to add them to internal memory then delete them later, I guess.

Or am I missing some 595 menu option(s)?
You may be correct. I have noticed that (using BaseCamp) creating a waypoint and using that waypoint in a route and NOT transferring that point independently to the device does NOT create a Favorite (or Saved Place). Sometimes. Sometimes it does. Transferring the waypoint in addition to the route always saves a Favorite (or Saved Place).

But as for me, I do not use waypoints all that much. Certainly not as a point on a route, doing that seems to confuse the 595. I prefer, if there's a point I want to be a waypoint, that is, a must-stop point along a route, I simply make it a destination and end the route there. I then select another route to start from there and continue on my way. Otherwise for my routes I use almost exclusively non-announcing shaping points. Which the 595 does fine but they confuse the hell out of me!

I have found, probably due to my ignorance, that having a waypoint on a route is inviting trouble. It's like the 595 sometimes freaks out and goes completely stupid.

eta: to clarify, by "transfer to device" I mean "drag and drop to User Memory (SD card)". I never, EVER use the transfer tab in BaseCamp.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
adl55
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by adl55 »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm You may be correct. I have noticed that (using BaseCamp) creating a waypoint and using that waypoint in a route and NOT transferring that point independently to the device does NOT create a Favorite (or Saved Place). Sometimes. Sometimes it does. Transferring the waypoint in addition to the route always saves a Favorite (or Saved Place).

Haven't seen the "sometimes it does" yet. If true, there MUST be a way to make it happen consistently. All I've found to date is using a different software (such as Mapsource) to edit locations into the file Current.GPX stored in the 595's internal memory. (The process is not as straightforward as I just made it seem!)
rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm But as for me, I do not use waypoints all that much. Certainly not as a point on a route, doing that seems to confuse the 595. I prefer, if there's a point I want to be a waypoint, that is, a must-stop point along a route, I simply make it a destination and end the route there. I then select another route to start from there and continue on my way. Otherwise for my routes I use almost exclusively non-announcing shaping points. Which the 595 does fine but they confuse the hell out of me!

I have found, probably due to my ignorance, that having a waypoint on a route is inviting trouble. It's like the 595 sometimes freaks out and goes completely stupid.
Have not yet done much route navigating with the 595. Next week. Will be testing the saved-location-waypoint within a route and will report back.

As for saved-locations (formerly called waypoints): I use them often. In the car, navigating to points is preferred to navigating routes. On the bike, especially on long trips, having the destination (and important stops) stored separately makes abandoning the route much easier when problems (such as accumulating delays and/or fatigue and/or bad weather) crop up. MUCH easier to pull up a saved location than to search a distant city then hunt through a list.
rbentnail wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm eta: to clarify, by "transfer to device" I mean "drag and drop to User Memory (SD card)". I never, EVER use the transfer tab in BaseCamp.
Haven't used Basecamp's transfer menu (Device, Send To Device) selections either. Exclusively used right-click + "Send To..." with the Zumo 660 but have been trying drag-n-drop with the 595. Only difference noted is the need to use scroll bars to get the source in one box and the destination in the other; results seem to be identical.