For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Exrm193
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Basecamp route differs on Zumo???

Post by Exrm193 »

Just a general question.
I plan a route on the computer using basecamp.
I upload it to the Zumo.
But they differ slightly...only by a few miles.
Why is this?? Same maps, latest software, same settings??

Any ideas??
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp route differs on Zumo???

Post by sussamb »

What is different? Simply the route distance? If so check the route on your Zumo using BaseCamp to check the routes are exactly the same?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp route differs on Zumo???

Post by rbentnail »

Exrm193 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm Just a general question.
I plan a route on the computer using basecamp.
I upload it to the Zumo.
But they differ slightly...only by a few miles.
Why is this?? Same maps, latest software, same settings??

Any ideas??
Assuming you did like me- bought a zumo for your motorcycle -> stop motorcycling! Really, in Base Camp and on your zumo, unless you're an off-road guy, consider switching the usage mode (zumo) & Activity (Base Camp) to automobile. That fixed mine right off. I think, and I may be wrong but I don't care, that "motorcycling" includes many roads you really don't want to be on. Anywho, automobiling was the ticket for me!

Then, you may have to add an additional shaping point or three. Think of it this way- when you transfer your "route" you're not really transferring the route, you're transferring just the points you used to make the route. So the zumo may choose a slightly different route based on just those points. It's a pain in the beginning but what I learned was to make the route with BC and transfer it and compare then go back and add points as needed. After a few times if you mentally note what changed & how, you kind of get the idea of how many points to use to create your BC route so nothing changes when transferred. But still, after some 10 years of Base Camp (and before that Map Source) I still always compare routes immediately after transfer to be sure the zumo has what I want. Old habits and all ;) .
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A