Bluetooth disconnecting

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Sleuth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 16 times
Belgium

Re: Bluetooth disconnecting

Post by Sleuth »

I have a 396, with music locally stored.

I am using an OnePlus 3 android phone with the latest software (not sure on the Bluetooth version) as wells a Senna SMH10.

The 396 does seem to have some issues with connectivity of music to the Sena, but with "gentle" persuasion I can overcome them. The connectivity between phone and GPS does work reasonably well. Although just recently the 396 became silent. Not 100% sure what happened, and this was in the car so it was only connected to the phone. After 24 hours it started working again.

In the main, I am happy with the 396, although I had been thinking I should have bought the 595 (size issues!) Now I am glad I didn't.
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT, BMW Navigator IV
Maps: Europe NTU 2024.10
Software: Basecamp (4.7.4) & Mapsource (6.16.3)
Computer: PC (Windows 11 Home)
Motorcycle: BMW R1200GSA (2020)
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Going on holiday shortly so took the nuclear option of getting a NOH 595 to replace mine from Garmin as mine was out of warranty. Got a new full box, so another 595 mount etc etc. But I'm pretty sure that this one is going to be as problematic, even though the Garmin tech said it was an issue with the 595 that I sent back :roll:

What I have noticed is that on my bike I have my android phone as well as the Bluetooth intercom connected, and usually it's the phone that disconnects first. In my car I have the phone only connected by Bluetooth and never have a problem. So, I'm wondering if the 595 doesn't like having two Bluetooth connections, sometimes, and when it doesn't like it / is overloaded, it dumps them both?
Oop North John
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Got the NOH 595 and if anything it's worse, so a well spent £151 :(

If I only pair the headset, and turn off the Bluetooth on my phone, then the experience is one of calm :) As soon as the phone is paired to the 595 along with the headset, then problems :(

Raised another call with Garmin and they want to know all the software versions and even taking a log of the Bluetooth by:

Lastly, please gather Bluetooth logs for your device using the following instructions. This helps us determine the cause of the problem. Before following the steps below, please ensure that the affected devices are not currently paired.

To record Bluetooth logs:

Touch the Volume button on the main menu of the Garmin device
Touch and hold the upper-right corner of the volume screen
When the screen changes (between 5-10 seconds), touch Diagnostic Logging
Touch Start Recording
Touch General on some devices before this step
Place a check mark next to BIN or binary by touching the box
Place a check mark next to Bluetooth by touching the box
Touch the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top-left corner
Touch Start
You should be taken to the map screen once this step is completed
Next, pair the device to your cell phone and/or headset (pairing with a headset is only available on certain devices). Use the device normally for media, testing the various Bluetooth functions you are experiencing trouble with.

Once you’ve recorded the logs, touch the Stop button on the left side of the map screen, and hold the back arrow until the main menu appears.

Next, please reply to this email and attach the log files.

To locate the logs:

Connect the device to your computer
Open the Garmin drive once the device is recognized
This drive will appear either in Computer or My Computer (Windows) or on the Desktop (Mac)
Open the Logs folder
If you’re using a Windows computer, you may have to open the Internal Storage item before this step
Open the bin folder
Please attach all files within this folder to your email reply
Budweiserfrogie
Ireland

Post by Budweiserfrogie »

Oop North John wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 am Got the NOH 595 and if anything it's worse, so a well spent £151 :(

If I only pair the headset, and turn off the Bluetooth on my phone, then the experience is one of calm :) As soon as the phone is paired to the 595 along with the headset, then problems :(

Raised another call with Garmin and they want to know all the software versions and even taking a log of the Bluetooth by:

Lastly, please gather Bluetooth logs for your device using the following instructions. This helps us determine the cause of the problem. Before following the steps below, please ensure that the affected devices are not currently paired.

To record Bluetooth logs:

Touch the Volume button on the main menu of the Garmin device
Touch and hold the upper-right corner of the volume screen
When the screen changes (between 5-10 seconds), touch Diagnostic Logging
Touch Start Recording
Touch General on some devices before this step
Place a check mark next to BIN or binary by touching the box
Place a check mark next to Bluetooth by touching the box
Touch the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the top-left corner
Touch Start
You should be taken to the map screen once this step is completed
Next, pair the device to your cell phone and/or headset (pairing with a headset is only available on certain devices). Use the device normally for media, testing the various Bluetooth functions you are experiencing trouble with.

Once you’ve recorded the logs, touch the Stop button on the left side of the map screen, and hold the back arrow until the main menu appears.

Next, please reply to this email and attach the log files.

To locate the logs:

Connect the device to your computer
Open the Garmin drive once the device is recognized
This drive will appear either in Computer or My Computer (Windows) or on the Desktop (Mac)
Open the Logs folder
If you’re using a Windows computer, you may have to open the Internal Storage item before this step
Open the bin folder
Please attach all files within this folder to your email reply
I'm not familiar with the NOH 595 model you mention, but mine was a Zumo 595LM, maybe similar?
I can tell you that Garmin asked me for exactly the same info as they have from you.
In the end of a drawn out back n forth communication (garmin are extremely slow to respond every time) all i got was that they blamed the bluetooth headset and not the Zumo device. I've seen lots of similar customer complaints so i'm thinking that basically Garmin and Sena don't properly share their devices connection protocals.
I was sick to the teeth of the problems getting zumo to connect with both phone and headset that i asked for, and was given a full refund.
I purchased a Tomtom 550 and am more than happy with this.
I've been a long time Garmin user and have not liked older tomtom devices but this version is spot on for me.
Oop North John
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Budweiserfrogie wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm I'm not familiar with the NOH 595 model you mention, but mine was a Zumo 595LM, maybe similar?
I can tell you that Garmin asked me for exactly the same info as they have from you.
In the end of a drawn out back n forth communication (garmin are extremely slow to respond every time) all i got was that they blamed the bluetooth headset and not the Zumo device. I've seen lots of similar customer complaints so i'm thinking that basically Garmin and Sena don't properly share their devices connection protocals.
I was sick to the teeth of the problems getting zumo to connect with both phone and headset that i asked for, and was given a full refund.
I've been a long time Garmin user and have not liked older tomtom devices but this version is spot on for me.
NOH = Newly Over Hauled, ie been returned to Garmin and they've checked it out that it's ok to sell on, with a 90 days guarantee. I paid £150 for it, and stressed how unimpressed I was to have paid for something that was no better than the item I returned!

My set up is a Galaxy A5 (2017) phone with an Interphone F5MC intercom. So if it's an intercom issue, then it's two manufacturers at least who are the issue.

When I send in my reply, I'll ask them if it's a common problem :lol:
Budweiserfrogie
Ireland

Oop North John wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:31 am
Budweiserfrogie wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 pm I'm not familiar with the NOH 595 model you mention, but mine was a Zumo 595LM, maybe similar?
NOH = Newly Over Hauled, ie been returned to Garmin and they've checked it out that it's ok to sell on, with a 90 days guarantee. I paid £150 for it, and stressed how unimpressed I was to have paid for something that was no better than the item I returned!

My set up is a Galaxy A5 (2017) phone with an Interphone F5MC intercom. So if it's an intercom issue, then it's two manufacturers at least who are the issue.

When I send in my reply, I'll ask them if it's a common problem :lol:
Cheers NOA makes sence now 🤣
I also have Samsung A5 (2017),
My Headset is a Sena 10r, and Garmin blame this particular Sena as the problem. I can't argue against that as its not in their list of compatible headsets.
But your Interfone F5mc definitely IS in their compatible list of headsets. They emailed me their list.
And you are having the exact same issues as i did.
I'm so glad now that i got rid of the Garmin.
Oop North John
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

If I only use the headset, then the performance is pretty flawless. Adding in the phone transforms it into a frustrating experience where the 595 / headset / phone disconnect themselves and won't self reconnect. Sometimes switching off the Bluetooth via the menu, and switching it back on does reconnect the three units, for a while.

To be honest the main reason I connect the phone is for the traffic and weather information. which most of the time I don't need, But when I do, I'd like to be able to use them.
Budweiserfrogie
Ireland

Oop North John wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:38 pm If I only use the headset, then the performance is pretty flawless. Adding in the phone transforms it into a frustrating experience where the 595 / headset / phone disconnect themselves and won't self reconnect. Sometimes switching off the Bluetooth via the menu, and switching it back on does reconnect the three units, for a while.

To be honest the main reason I connect the phone is for the traffic and weather information. which most of the time I don't need, But when I do, I'd like to be able to use them.
Exactly same issues as i had. Trafic is the reason i purchased the unit initially.
Using with headset alone is flawless and i put 3800km on it in this way last june going to italy n back.
All the time with no phone connected so i hit lotsa heavy trafic situations and should have been able to avoid them... but couldn't.
As soon as my phone is added into the equasion it constantly gives connection problems.
Oop North John
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Now on my third 595 and all displaying the same problem, but the first two were faulty units :roll:

Do have some extra mounts etc now though :lol:
Oop North John
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Garmin exchanged the third 595 for a 590, plus all the usual bits. Only had it out for one ride of 25 minutes times two, but no disconnection of the phone from the GPS / messing up the Bluetooth intercom :D :D