Transferring Routes

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
yorkie
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Transferring Routes

Post by yorkie »

Help!!!!

I have just transferred a route from Basecamp to my Zumo. According to Basecamp it is 334 miles, which is about right, but according to my Zumo, with routing preferences set as near to Basecamps as possible, it is either 558 miles Total Distance or 427 miles in the Review Trip option.
What the hell is that all about?????
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Transferring Routes

Post by Stu »

Is the route away from home?

It may be calculating fro. Your home tot he start of the route and then the route
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Also compare the two in BaseCamp with your Zumo connected, you can then view both routes.
yorkie
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Stu, unfortunately the route does start from home.
Sussamb, yes, I have compared both as you say and the version on my Zumo was nothing like the Basecamp route which I had sent.
I have been able to tweek the route on the Zumo using the PC but surely the whole point of plotting the initial route on Basecamp is to simply transfer it to the Zumo and job done!!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, but it will depend how closely the activity profile selected in BaseCamp matches your zumo, whether you're using the same map and the slightly different routing algorithms they both use. It's why many with zumos send a track as well as a route as the track wont change.
yorkie
Great Britain

Post by yorkie »

The activity profiles are as near identical as Basecamp / Zumo allow and the maps are the same version.
I'm sorry, but considering the purpose of Basecamp and a GPS I think it's pretty shoddy workmanship.
I would imagine in a couple of years these discussions will all be academic anyway as more bikes start to follow the car trend and come with pre-installed GPS systems or the mobile phone apps will take the place of stand alone GPS. Wouldn't be a bad thing, one less thing to pair together.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

My routes have always pretty well matched, most times exactly, so not sure why you're having issues. As for in built satnavs, my experience is they are far worse than stand alone ones so I'll be keeping my Garmin.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

yorkie wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:22 pm I'm sorry, but considering the purpose of Basecamp and a GPS I think it's pretty shoddy workmanship.
And yet, as is Sussamb's experience, I have transferred thousands of routes to my varous Zumos over the years and rarely do I have an issue with the route not matching what I created in Basecamp. The key is first and foremost making sure the varous routing settings in BC and on the Zumo match as closely as possible. This means routing profile, avoidances and calculation method. The second key is understadnding how the various settings will affect the route when it's loaded in the Zumo. And finally, there is somewhat of an art to creating routes with the suffecient number of properly placed via points and shaping points so the route mainntians it's integry when transferred.

I would suggest you go through at least the beginning of New England Riders' Basecamp Tutorial. While the turorial was created using North America maps, the beginning covers setting up both Basecamp and the Zumo to get better results and you might find it useful.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/