550 switches off soon after booting

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
ianchapp
Has liked: 6 times
Great Britain

550 switches off soon after booting

Post by ianchapp »

Got a problem with my 550 :cry:

The unit powers on initially, splash screen shows, and then it switches off at approx the time the splash screen would finish. As if the firmware's corrupt maybe?

Stays on in mass storage mode if plugged to a PC, although the PC doesn't see the drives.

Any suggestions? I have tried it in the bike mount without the battery, still the same. So am I correct to assume it's not the battery? I think it was in reasonable condition when I last used it.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: 550 switches off soon after booting

Post by carolinarider09 »

I have never, at least to my memory, had that problem with my 550 (which is still in use).

I don't know where you are located but one way to have it "fixed" is to contact the Palm Dr. and let him refurbish it for you (if possible).

I had him fix the buttons and replace the inteneral battery on my 550 several years ago. He does good work.

https://www.palmdr.com
ianchapp
Has liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: 550 switches off soon after booting

Post by ianchapp »

Neither have I, in eleven years of usage!

Had the buttons replaced 2-3 times, last one was by a guy in Germany who does a mod which should stop it re-occurring. But not much good if the unit doesn't work :lol: I've also replaced the battery a few years ago. Cheap (eBay I think), and only one screw.

I'm in the UK, there are a couple of sat-nav repair people. But if someone has a recommendation, that would be helpful?