Screen?

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Screen?

Post by Pockets »

Hi, I’ve just become the proud owner of my first satnav, (Garmin 550) but I’m a little confused about one or two display settings. I have noticed there is a screen film that looks like it starting to peel on the edges, is this something I can remove? It looks as if it’s been put on to protect the screen from scratching but unsure if it’s necessary, also when I’m using it for a destination it only displays speed and distance to next junction, is this all the information it is designed to display. Last one (for now) the screen turns off as soon as I unplug it from it’s power supply, I’m guessing this is because the battery is knackered, anyway that’s enough for now, I await your invaluable response.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: Screen?

Post by kernowing »

Hi Pockets, just checking before I start looking for my Z550 stuff. Yours is a 550? I only ask as you've posted the question in the 590/595 section.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Pockets
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

I know sorry, didn’t realise until I looked back on it, I’m new to all this, probably tell from the questions.
kernowing
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

No problem mate. Will your 550 power up from the button when it's not on the cradle? I've just checked my old Zumo 550 and the battery is rated at 4.2V. Can you take the battery out and test the voltage? Ideally you'll need a T8 torx but a small allen key will do it. Centre contact is +
Sounds like someone had a screen protector on your unit- if it's lifting at the edges you may as well take it off--up to you.
You should get more than the 2 displays when running a route. Maybe have a look in settings?
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
Zumo 660LM
Pockets
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

OK Thanks for the reply, it will not turn on unless it’s connected to the mount on the bike, it will also not turn on if i connect it to the 13amp mins charger, I have connected it to the computer and updated the maps I think it said something like 2019-something v5. The problem with it not turning on with the battery is I cannot sit and play with it in the house I have to stand next to it in the garage. I’ve looked on ebay and a new battery is about £15 so maybe i need to invest in one so i can have a good look at just what it has to offer. I have got a user manual but again it’s easier to read the book and use the satnav at the same time.
Anyway thanks again for your reply.
Paul
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Pockets wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm I know sorry, didn’t realise until I looked back on it, I’m new to all this, probably tell from the questions.
Don't worry we can move stuff to the right place :)

Keep asking the questions you will get the answers ;)
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I don't know how it works internationally but I had my 550's buttons fixed by www.palmdr.com. He is in the states I believe but he does great work. If you can, I'd contact him and let him refurbish it for you.

My 550 was worked on 2 years ago and it is still going.

As for peeling, the screen on mine never did show that issue. I have had it for almost 8 years.

http://www.palmdr.com

Regarding the display when using a route, I will have to look at mine to see how it works. On later models (660 for instance) if you touch the display you are asking about it will show a list of items that can be displayed. You just touch the one you want. But I will check my 550 tomorrow and see if that is true with that unit.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I just looked at my 550 and I can not see away to change the two displays in the lower left and lower right corners of the screen. I have not researched it further, just looked to see if there was an obvious way to change it like on the 660.
kernowing
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

It seems like my memory was playing tricks on me :roll: --there are only 2 displays when running a route. Have a look at this You tube video:-
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
Zumo 660LM