anything special about SD cards in Garmin Zumos?

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
TwoUpTourer
Australia

anything special about SD cards in Garmin Zumos?

Post by TwoUpTourer »

I have been trying to transfer the files off a 2Gb SD card in my Garmin Zumo 550 onto a 4GB SD card, that has been formatted and has identical files so that I can later add some updated maps in the extra space it has.

But....
Although the Zumo acknowledges that the card is there, it fails to read the maps that are on it, even though it has exactly the same folder and maps that were on the 2GB card.

This makes me think there is something hidden here, either a file or some form of formatting, that tells the Zumo that this card is not the one from before. So the question is whether there is some special way that SD cards have to be formatted for a Garmin Zumo? I do not have this issue with my Garmin Montana.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: anything special about SD cards in Garmin Zumos?

Post by Fallguy67 »

Is it formatted at FAT32 or FAT and not NTFS?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Z ... E5KmrY9k27

If so.....you may have to use Map Install to add the maps to the card instead of just copying the files. Although copy should work I'd think.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Should work if card is formatted correctly, must be FAT32
carolinarider09
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I have never tired to transfer maps from one SD card to another in my 550. The reason is that I think there well might be hidden files (which I guess you can see if you select the appropriate options on your computer but...). Since you are using a new SD card and want to load more maps, I'd suggest you use the following steps to add the maps to a new card.

Here is how to update the maps on a Zumo 550 with lifetime maps. It requires an SD Card (I used an 8 gig card) and access to a computer with Garmin Express loaded and two USB connections so you can connect both the Zumo and the 8 gig card.

You connect the Zumo (I took the SD Card out of mine) and the 8 gig card (freshly formatted in FAT 32) to the computer and copy all the files from the Zumo's memory to the SD Card. In essence cloning the Zumo's internal memory.

You now eject your Zumo 550 from the computer, leaving the SD Card connected.

Once done, you can launch Garmin Express with the SD Card still installed and it will see it as your Zumo 550.

It will ask if you want to update maps (if new maps are available) and you just tell it to go ahead (well you actually have to use the mouse)

In about two or so hours, the new maps will be updated to the SD Card.

Now you have to do the following in the Garmin Folder on the SD Card

Rename the map files (in the Garmin Folder) from gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp,gma and gmapsupp.unl. You will need to do this after Express has finished installing the map on the SD. The map files must remain in the \Garmin folder on the SD card.

I then deleted all the other folders (except the Garmin Folder) from the SD Card, ejected the SD Card from my computer and put it into my Zumo 550.

Start your 550 and the maps will be downloaded or should I say, linked, to your device.

Then you can copy the other stuff you want to add to the SD card.
TwoUpTourer
Australia

Post by TwoUpTourer »

I got an answer on a another GPS forum. Turns out as shipped, the Zumo 550 didn't support SDHC SD cards of any size, and it wasn't rectified until Revision 3.00 I will contact my friend to find out what firmware revision he is on, but knowing his literacy level, it's never been touched since it came out of shrinkwrap.

Both of the cards i tried were SDHC. Interestingly the 16gb card only caused an error, which may indicate both a size limit and the SDHC issue.

So poorly documented on the Garmin side of things.

For interest, here is a link to the Garmin revision page for the Zumo 4xx & 5xx models
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=1671
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If it's still on original firmware that would explain it. Also note the Zumo 550 is one of the few models where Express won't install maps to a sd card installed in the zumo, you need to use the cloning method mentioned above or install via MapInstall. More detail here

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b ... KUAt8x67J7
TwoUpTourer
Australia

Post by TwoUpTourer »

MapInstall I can do. Would Basecamp do it, as I already have that for my Montana? It clearly recognises the Zumo okay.

And is there any reason why I can't just place the files on the SD card, assuming I get it to a readable situation? Or would the Zumo fail to see it?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp basically uses MapInstall so yes, but be aware the latest BC versions have a bug that screws up installing maps. If you have 4.7 you need to revert to 4.6.2

Not sure what you mean by just place the files on the card, if you suggest using BC or MapInstall then yes, that will work.
TwoUpTourer
Australia

Post by TwoUpTourer »

Sorry - I meant by 'placing files' to literally copy files from one card to another, using windows or command line/DOS.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If you have a working map file along with the unlock files then yes, you can just copy them. Note for the avoidance of doubt this must be a map with the unlock codes for your device.