GPS week number rollover event

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Florida Red Wing
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

GPS week number rollover event

Post by Florida Red Wing »

I was just reading about an event that is going to happen on April 6th 2019 that may have negative consequences on our beloved older Zumo's. Does anyone know for sure whether or not our Zumo's will be affected by this event? If they will be affected, is there a patch so we can extend their life?
Here is a link to the article explaining the issue: https://www.gps-repeaters.com/blog/gps- ... -6th-2019/
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: GPS week number rollover event

Post by rbentnail »

"Issues could occur if:

Receivers have been in operation for more than 10-15 years without firmware updates"

So, have you not plugged your zumo into a computer sometime in the last decade to keep it current?

"This situation won’t affect a receiver’s ability to navigate and/or calculate precise time, but....."

What affect do you expect this, if it's real, to have on your gps? It will navigate normally regardless.

".....but it has the potential to create week, month and year timestamps that are wildly wrong."[/i

In what way do you use a UTC timestamp?

Sounds like the Y2K "disaster" all over again.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Florida Red Wing
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: GPS week number rollover event

Post by Florida Red Wing »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:01 pm
"Issues could occur if:

Receivers have been in operation for more than 10-15 years without firmware updates"

So, have you not plugged your zumo into a computer sometime in the last decade to keep it current?

"This situation won’t affect a receiver’s ability to navigate and/or calculate precise time, but....."

What affect do you expect this, if it's real, to have on your gps? It will navigate normally regardless.

".....but it has the potential to create week, month and year timestamps that are wildly wrong."[/i

In what way do you use a UTC timestamp?

Sounds like the Y2K "disaster" all over again.

Thanks Russ. I think you have relieved my worries. I have no reason to use the time stamp. I am easily confused by most things technical. After reading the article I was afraid that the GPS would have difficulty locating the satellites due to an incorrect time/date stamp resulting in a non-working unit.