Zumo 550 micro power switch

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Summerbreeze
United States of America

Zumo 550 micro power switch

Post by Summerbreeze »

Hello everyone ! Can anyone help please ? The outside rubber power button on my Zumo 550 has been damaged for a while, so I used a sharp object through the big hole to reach down and press on the micro power switch on the main pen to turn the unit on and off. Sadly, I now damaged the micro switch. I have another exact switch which I am sure I can solder back to the board. But I am having a really tough time figuring out where one end of the switch is supposed to connect to. One end very clearly is connected to a tiny black chip resistor on the side. The other end of the switch I have no clue where it should be soldered to. Please help !
Florida Red Wing
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Zumo 550 micro power switch

Post by Florida Red Wing »

Summerbreeze wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:22 pm Hello everyone ! Can anyone help please ? The outside rubber power button on my Zumo 550 has been damaged for a while, so I used a sharp object through the big hole to reach down and press on the micro power switch on the main pen to turn the unit on and off. Sadly, I now damaged the micro switch. I have another exact switch which I am sure I can solder back to the board. But I am having a really tough time figuring out where one end of the switch is supposed to connect to. One end very clearly is connected to a tiny black chip resistor on the side. The other end of the switch I have no clue where it should be soldered to. Please help !
Summerbreeze, If it was me I would just send it off to Chris Short. He is very reasonable, does excellent work and has a fast turn around time. He can be found here: https://www.palmdr.com/
I would suggest you have him repair the button covers and replace the units internal battery while he has it.
Florida Red Wing
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo 550 micro power switch

Post by carolinarider09 »

I agree with the above. Chris fixed my 550 several years ago and it functions like new. The buttons and the battery were replaced as suggested. I don't remember if the the screen was replaced. He does good work at a reasonable price.