On-screen Movement Indication

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Mmacderr
Ireland

On-screen Movement Indication

Post by Mmacderr »

Following on from some work I carried out on my 550, I am looking for confirmation that the unit is working correctly.
I had always thought the on-screen vehicle movement when driving was linear but today I noticed that the screen is updating approx once a second which gives a very erratic appearance. It's not so noticeable on open roads but in built up areas with lots of side roads it's very obvious. I would appreciate if someone with the same unit could confirm if what I'm experiencing is normal or not.
Thanks in advance
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: On-screen Movement Indication

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

The refresh of the display is definitely not continuous. I don't know what the refresh rate is, but I will probably be out tomorrow with my 550 and I will make an effort to take note of the rate of refresh.

Take note of this:

once per second
Update Rate - The update rate of a GPS module is how often it calculates and reports its position. The standard for most devices is 1Hz (once per second). UAVs and other fast vehicles may require increased update rates.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Mmacderr
Ireland

Post by Mmacderr »

Many thanks for the info Michael. I've had the unit for years but only use it occasionally so it's probably working as per specs but following the rebuild I am most likely overthinking it.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Mmacderr wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:51 am I've had the unit for years but only use it occasionally so it's probably working as per specs but following the rebuild I am most likely overthinking it.
Rode my R60/6 today with the Zumo 550. There is no doubt that the map moves in "increments", hard to say for sure but probably every second the map moves slightly as I ride. It is possibly easier to see the incremental updates if you just watch the speed as you pull away from a stop. You will see that the speed is not just steadily increasing, instead the speed updates (every second).

Yes, I think you just worried about this too much.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
Mmacderr
Ireland

Post by Mmacderr »

I appreciate you checking that out for me. I though I might have installed the antenna module incorrectly. Cheers Derek
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 612 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I seem to remember all Zumos 550, 660, 590, 595 all show the icon moving around every second or so. Its due to the positional errors of the 'fix' of your currentlocation - which can be 1-10m or more. Normal use 2-4m is common. Sometimes better.

I noted with some surprise a couple of days ago that my Zumo XT was not doing this. After a while it seems to recognise the same reading - give or take a few metres - is being obtained, so it stops bothering recording or displaying the small changes.

This feature may have been introduced on earlier models, and I have never noticed it. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't on the 550 though.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Mmacderr
Ireland

Post by Mmacderr »

I used it today on a short spin and it appears to be working ok so maybe I'm worrying about nothing. Thanks for the info.